Confidence is an important factor for many things in life, including dating! Having a complete smile with dentures can allow you to freely smile and interact with someone you are interested in. However, you may have some worries about how your prosthetic will affect becoming physically closer to that special someone. Your dentist in Campbell is here to give you some helpful tips for your dating life and kissing while wearing dentures.
Helpful Keys for Successful Dating with Dentures
As you already know, there is a time of adjustment when you begin wearing dentures. It requires a bit of time to get used to how they feel in your mouth. Learning to talk and eat effortlessly takes practice but before you know it, they become second nature. The same goes for dating and kissing with dentures!
It’s normal to have a few concerns when you begin dating while wearing dentures, but there’s no need to worry. Here are a few important keys about spending time on a date with your new pearly whites:
- Clean Your Dentures: Nothing can be more distracting than having bad breath on a date. Be sure to clean your dentures using a soft-bristled toothbrush and non-abrasive toothpaste. Make it a priority to place them in a soaking solution every night to kill any odor-causing bacteria left behind from brushing.
- Consider an Adhesive: The last thing you want to worry about is your dentures moving around in your mouth while you talk or eat with someone you are interested in. While well-fitting dentures don’t require an adhesive, it may be wise to use one if you’ll be eating a steak dinner or doing a lot of speaking. It can prevent any unexpected slippage.
- Drink Plenty of Water: Staying hydrated will keep your mouth moist, which will combat bacteria and plaque that can lead to bad breath. Drinking enough water will also help keep your dentures in place to avoid any irritation.
Tips for Kissing with Dentures
If you have implant dentures, you shouldn’t have any worries about kissing because they are firmly rooted in your mouth. However, if you happen to have traditional prosthetics, keep these things tips in mind when kissing:
- Try puckering your lips slightly, keeping them soft so as not to apply too much pressure or suction on your dentures.
- Going for a deeper kiss is fine, but just remember to be gentle and soft.
- Avoid banging your dentures against your date’s teeth to keep from dislodging your prosthetic.
- Stay relaxed and have fun! Dating is supposed to be enjoyable, so be sure to just appreciate the moment.
Though you may feel a bit apprehensive at the beginning of dating while wearing dentures, it is not as difficult as you think. With these helpful tips and some practice, you will be happily and easily showing your Valentine how much you adore them!
About the Author
Dr. Karen Ho and her team enjoy keeping the smiles of Campbell whole and healthy! With over 20 years of experience, she continues to take at least 50 hours of continuing education, as well as being an active member of several dental associations. She provides a full range of dental services, including dentures, partial dentures, and implant dentures. To schedule an appointment, contact her through her website or call (408) 558-9444.